Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Where can I find quality roses for my garden?

I know we just can't pick up any roses from Target or Home Depot and expect them to be nice, big, and quality roses. Where is a good place I can go to to buy these roses?

Where can I find quality roses for my garden?
Any good local garden center should have a good selection for you.





When you go, have a list of things that you want...


-fragrance


-disease tolerance


-color


-climber, shrub, ground cover


This will help you when you are shopping around. There are a lot of varieties available filling pretty much any need you have. So, ask questions to get just what you want. I was always taught to pick a plant that has 3 central canes that are nicely spaced so that it will grow into a nice shape eventually.





Everyone has their own personal favorites and list of their recommendations but if you shop locally, they will be able to help you find something that will thrive in your climate.





Good luck!
Reply:Jackson Perkins and Weeks Roses are great quality bushes. I also like David Austin Roses. I own three of them, and I have to say they put all my other (46 in all) to shame! A rose bush is one of the things you certainly get what you pay for. I would never buy a rose bush from a department store. Lowe's does carry Jackson Perkins, and they are a very reasonable price. One good thing about buying from Lowe's, the bush is already growing, and usually very well leafed out with buds or blooms, where as ordering directly from J%26amp;P, you get a bare root plant.





Take my advice, spend a little extra and get the high quality bush. In the long run, not only will they be absolutely gorgeous, but cost you less money trying to take care of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment