Monday, May 11, 2009

Why do some of the canes on my roses appear to be drying and porous?

I bought these roses two months ago and they have been a pain. I finally thought I had a grip, and now the canes on the sides that once had some foliage appear to be "dead wood". A couple have hollowed out and are splitting. Should I cut the back more?What could be wrong?I also have a lot of yellow leaves that are falling off my other roses. These are all hybrid tea roses.

Why do some of the canes on my roses appear to be drying and porous?
This is caused by the rose bore. They make their way into a stem that has been cut but not sealed. Any stem slightly smaller than a pencil or larger is susceptible. Your rose may have already had them when you bought them or if you pruned alot then you invited them in. I keep a small bottle of latex paint in my garden and brush it on when I prune. They make products just for this but a light colored latex works just as good.


I have found bare-root roses seem to be more likely to be a afflicted with this, but they all can. There is little you can do if they have found their way in to the main part of your bush. If they have not, then prune off the damage below the hollow parts, and seal the stem.(paint) Feed your roses a systemic food, this feeds and repells unwanted guests.A healthy rose is far less likely to get bores and other problems.Fetilome and greenlite are good brands for a rose-systemic food but there are many.


Sorry for your loss! hope you can save them!


Been there!


God Bless


Grandma
Reply:you might like to see the Yahoo group rosemessenger and also see the great web-site http://www.gardenmessenger.net... Report It



No comments:

Post a Comment