Friday, May 21, 2010

Why do my Roses have tiny holes in the petals?

I'm sure it is some sort of insect but I'm new to the gardening thing and none of my other plants have this. Oh and I live in San Diego in case that helps! Any suggestions??


I heard that soapy water and diluted shampoo work! But is it true?


Thanks!

Why do my Roses have tiny holes in the petals?
either insects like japanese beetles which you can see. use a spray called Seven and follow the directions exactly. also dont water them during the heat of the day. because the water droplets act like magnifying glasses and burn the leaves. either of these could be the issue.
Reply:Could be leaf miners. Soapy water, 1 or 2 TB or liquid dish soap, to 1 Qt water should do the trick. But please don't apply it when you are expecting rain, for obvious reasons. I would try that first. It is cheap and easy. Just spray it on, the top and bottom of the leaves





Here's another idea from http://www.care2.com/greenliving/homemad...





All-Purpose Pesticide Soap Spray


Strong smelling roots and spices such as garlic, onions,


horseradish, ginger, rhubarb leaves, cayenne and other hot


peppers, are all known to repel insects.





INGREDIENTS


A handful of roots and spices


Enough boiling water to cover


Soap Spray (recipe, above)





Add the roots and spices to the bottom of a mason jar. Cover


with the boiling water, screw on the top, and let set overnight.


Strain, and add to the Soap Spray. Note that this will rot,


so use it all up or freeze leftovers for another time.





Variation: Garlic Spray


Use 1 to 2 heads garlic. Deer and rabbits hate the smell


of garlic.





If the cheap soaps don't work, i would then try a commercial approach.





In my experience, Sevin is a pesticide, that has ton's of warnings. It can be very harmful to you, and your yard animals and pets. There are other insecticidal soaps out on the market that work just as well, and are not harmful to you, or the environment. I found one on clearance at my local garden center that I sometimes use one on my roses and peonies, but the name is not coming to me right now. I do know that it is salt based and you can use it on your homegrown vegetables as well, so it is extremely non-toxic. I will give you an update tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment