Friday, May 21, 2010

Natural remedy for black spot on roses?

Does anyone know of a natural remedy for black spot on roses? Also, is there a rose species that is less likely to develop the black spots?

Natural remedy for black spot on roses?
Nothing will remove black spot once it appears on your rose plant. But you can prevent it spreading further, or prevent its appearance in the first place.





One of the home remedies I've read about is the powdery mildew and black spot grow in a very narrow ph range. Mix 1/2 milk and 1/2 water in a spray bottle, spray it on your leaves, and it changes the surface ph enough to make it inhospitable for both those maladies.





I only started using it late last season. I had no more spread - but I'm not sure it they were just "done" for the season anyway, or if the remedy worked. I'm using it this year, and I'll see how well it works. I figure that if nothing else, I'm doing no harm by trying, and it won't hurt any other insect life in my garden. You do have to spray frequently, every 7-10 days or so, and always after a rain.





There are some roses that are more resistant to those problems. Knock-Outs are supposed to be resistant.





On the upside, although black spot and powery mildew can cause unsightly leaves, and cause early leaf-drop, it usually does no lasting harm to the rose bush. If your plants show the signs, rake and remove the leaves for good "hygeine". Also good air circulation is important. Try to keep the rose bush from getting crowded by other plants.
Reply:I was told not to spray water on the rose buds,that it would cause black spots.


No comments:

Post a Comment