Saturday, November 14, 2009

Can I plant another plant which leafcutter bees like to cut, to reduce damage to my roses?

I have roses whose leaves get cut ragged by leafcutter bees. (they cut perfect round circles out of rose leaves to make nests.) I've heard they are beneficial in the garden and harmless, they just make the roses look yuck. Are there any other plants that they would like to use which I could plant? Or will I just be helping them reproduce more? I asked this question before but it has an error on the page, I can't open it. Thanks!!

Can I plant another plant which leafcutter bees like to cut, to reduce damage to my roses?
The article below has lots of information, including their control. You will just encourage them if you plant other plants they like - and they will tend to continue to use the rose anyway, once they discover they like it. So using permethrin, either as a spray or dust, seems to be the prescribed treatment. I know a nice biological control is preferred, but sometimes, you need to use a compound the spoils it for them. Right now the deer have been stripping my rose bare and I need to use pepper concentrates on it to stop them - and repeat after each rain until they forget they liked it and other foods show up in the wild to distract them. But if you want roses, you need to be on them all the time with something, biological or chemical - I can hand-squish the aphids, which stops those attacks quickly (guess they are not cannibals!) and use a milk spray on the black spot, but insects can be a little too persistent.
Reply:I plant garlic between my roses. There aren't ANY bugs that like to go there. They must be able to sense it and they don't like it.





The Muse

Hepatitis C Test

No comments:

Post a Comment