Saturday, November 14, 2009

I live in Northern Indiana, do I need to do any special winter care for my roses?

My roses are traditional roses- ie Peace roses and such.

I live in Northern Indiana, do I need to do any special winter care for my roses?
Just cut them back. I cut mine to about 4"-6" from the ground. That's it !!
Reply:First, DO NOT CUT BACK UNTIL YOU ARE SURE THERE IS NO MORE FREEZING WEATHER IN THE SPRING. The next thing you need to know is what growing climate zone you are in. The lower the number you are, the colder your weather gets. A 0, you are at the north pole, 10 -12 Florida. My guess for you is, you are about a zone 6-7. The next thing you need to find out is what your roses are zoned for. In most cases you should use a rose cone or a pile of leaves then wrap the roses and leaves in burlap or plastic. When it is time to prune, prune it into the green live part of the plant, just above the branch. If you want it to grow say to the left, you prune just above the branch that is growing to the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment