Friday, November 13, 2009

When, are for how long will my wild roses bloom?

In early spring, I transplanted 3 wild roses from my road to my garden. Most of there leaves fell off, the plant looked un waterered, dead, but I took good care of it and it made a great recovery, all the leaves are finally back. I took 12 more wild roses and made there own flower bed for them. Most of the leaves are already crackly, and falling off. I transplanted them about 2 weeks ago. I suspect that most of the leaves will probably fall off anyway, and I think 2 of the wild roses might die, because almost all of there leaves are fallen. Some new leaves are finally starting to grow, and they are a nice green colour. I know they won't bloom this year, but next year, when, and for long will they bloom? They are about a foot to 2 feet tall, and the ones on the road have been blooming for about a month, but there arn't very many blooms because no body dead heads or trims them. Thanks:) And one last thing, I have sweet peas, and are about 5-8 inches tall. When will they bloom? Thanks.

When, are for how long will my wild roses bloom?
In my experience wild roses bloom only once a season in late spring to early summer. However, although they usually only bloom once it tends to be a good show and can last a while. Your roses have dropped their leaves because they are in shock. Usually they will pull through with a little extra TLC and frequent watering. Don't give up on the two that have completely defoliated because Roses are pretty resilient and tend to bounce back. Anyhow, hope your roses pull through. Enjoy.


I've never grown sweet peas so I don't know. Sorry.
Reply:Species roses bloom only once mostly but they can be in bloom many weeks.





The prairie rose, Rosa arkansana, from North America is possibly what you have collected. They bloom often in June or July depending on weather and can continue into Aug on a small compact plant.





There are many other species that yours could be;


R. canina the dog rose does not repeat and gets pretty large. Introduced from Europe.


R. carolina the Carolina rose does not repeat but flowers from May to July. Native.





R. nutkana the Nootka Rose from the NW flowers May to July.





The Cherokee Rose is another fairly common wild rose, R. Laevigata. This one goes tall and is a climber in warmer areas. Flowers in April. Introduced from Asia.

hiking boots rating

No comments:

Post a Comment